Tragic teen who died in water on hottest day of year jumped in to save his dog

Don’t miss a thing by getting the Daily Star’s biggest headlines straight to your inbox!

A heartbreaking floral tribute has been left to a 19-year-old who tragically died after diving into a canal to try and save a dog yesterday.

The 19-year-old man's body was pulled from the water at around 7.40pm yesterday evening on the hottest day of the year.

Flowers have been placed by the side of the Salford Quays where the young man was found, Manchester Evening News reports.

Greater Manchester Police launched a huge operation which also brought in the fire service and a police helicopter.

It is understood that the man's friends had desperately attempted to save him as the emergency services rushed to the scene.

Multiple witnesses have said the young an entered the water to rescue a dog – but this has not been verified.

One said: “He jumped in to save his dog, the dog got out.

“Everyone else jumped in trying to look for him.

“People were screaming and someone was shouting ‘my friend’s drowning’.

“His friends jumped in.”

Another said: “The dog jumped in first.

“He went in and they couldn’t find him for about an hour and a half.”

The authorities were initially called to the waterfront, which was full of families relaxing in the sun, with reports of concern for a man struggling in the water.

Witnesses told of hearing devastating screams as people tried to save the man before he was found unresponsive.

In a statement, Greater Manchester Police said: "At about 4.40pm today (Sunday 18 July), officers were called over concerns for a man in the water at Salford Quays.

"NWAS and GMFRS also attended but, sadly, the body of a 19-year-old man was recovered from the water at about 7.40pm.

"An investigation is under way and a file passed to the coroner."

Detective Inspector Helen Bagnall, of GMP's Trafford district, said: "Firstly our thoughts are with this young man's family and friends, and the people who witnessed the tragic events.

"Sadly, this proves how dangerous going into unfamiliar water can be, especially when you can't see below the surface of what could be very cold water."

The tragedy unfolded on a day when huge numbers of people were at the Quays making the most of one of the hottest days of the year.

  • In the News

Source: Read Full Article