Royals won’t ‘bend over backwards’ after ‘obligation’ Sussex coronation invite
Buckingham Palace "won't bend over backwards" to have Prince Harry and Meghan Markle at King Charles' coronation, an expert said.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been invited to the historic ceremony, set to take place on May 6, but it is unclear whether the pair plan to attend as tensions with the royal household remain high.
Expert Gertrude Daly believes the royals won't be "over-accommodating" whether the pair show up or not.
READ MORE: Harry and Meghan 'have upper hand' on King Charles following eviction row, says source
"There is an obligation by the palace to invite the couple, just as it would other members of the extended royal family who aren't working royals," Daly told the Daily Star.
"But while they may be invited, I don’t expect that the palace will be over-accommodating.
"The Sussexes have a seat at the Coronation. It is their choice if they want to attend. But the royals are not going to bend over backwards to get the Sussexes there.
"They have accepted the Sussexes have departed and are doing their own thing. And the monarchy is continuing on without them."
Harry and Meghan were initially expected to attend the coronation and had been given strict warnings to be on their best behaviour.
Prince Harry says therapy helped him 'break free' from his family
"They’re on the list and planning is well underway to make sure the proceedings run as smooth as possible – without any drama," a source said.
Meanwhile another chimed in: "They should realise that there is only one subject that many members of the royal family will be willing to discuss and that’s the weather."
But the couple were delivered a devastating blow earlier this week when it was confirmed they had been asked to "vacate" their UK residence, Frogmore Cottage, shortly after the coronation, in a move that left the pair "stunned".
Now, with tensions at an all-time high, the Sussexes may choose to opt out of the event altogether.
"I think it is likely the Sussexes won’t attend the Coronation," Daly said.
"Things in the UK and royal Family aren’t going to change before the coronation. There are clearly still issues."
The Sussexes are understood to be "stunned" at the move to evict them from the UK property in a move that has been branded a "cruel punishment".
"It’s news, sources tell me, that has left Harry and Meghan stunned, and at least two members of the Royal Family 'appalled,'" Meghan's friend and author of the book Finding Freedom, Omid Scobie, said earlier this week.
"It all feels very final and like a cruel punishment.
"It’s like [the family] want to cut them out of the picture for good."
To get more stories from The Daily Star delivered straight to your inbox sign up to one of our free newsletters here.
Prince Harry once begged entire England rugby team for autographs as they stood naked
Prince Harry has 'nothing to lose' in tell-all talk after Frogmore Cottage eviction
Brits back King Charles' decision to evict Harry and Meghan, bombshell study finds
Prince Harry and Meghan 'will expect £2.4m Frogmore Cottage payment back'
Source: Read Full Article