Man found dead had jetset lifestyle with £100k in dirty money

Police have launched a murder investigation over a man found dead, who had previously been jailed for living a jetset lifestyle using ‘dirty money’.

The body of Thomas Campbell, 38, was found at a house near Oldham on Sunday morning (July 3), with officers believing he was killed in a targeted attack, the Manchester Evening News report.

The cause of death has not been revealed, but the investigation is continuing to progress.

READ NEXT: 'Shocked' OnlyFans model fired from teaching job after her racy account was found

In 2019, Campbell was jailed for two years at Manchester Crown Court after he admitted concealing criminal property.

He and his wife Coleen, both 35 at the time, splurged £10,000 on one holiday, had a double-storey extension to add a bar and bigger kitchen at their house, and spent a fortune on designer clothes and jewellery.

They were brought down after Greater Manchester Police began investigating “the Campbells’ involvement with cocaine supply” in Clayton, a suburb of the city.

A judge found the couple benefited from crime to the tune of around £100,000 – a sum police said they spent in around five years.

The court heard the pair spent “extravagantly” – holidaying in Cancun, Gran Canaria and Bulgaria, buying BMWs, Audis and Mercedes cars, and building a two-storey side extension at the couple’s home.

Thomas had been unemployed since 2008, but abruptly declared himself a self-employed fitness instructor when he became aware he was of interest to the authorities.

But police had already linked him to a network of dealers.

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

Prosecutors said the ‘dirty money’ came from family connections and close associates, but the court did not hear specific evidence on the sources of the cash.

Passing sentence, Judge Martin Rudland locked up Thomas for two years, while Coleen was spared jail, receiving a 16-month sentence, suspended for two years.

Following Thomas’ death, tributes have been paid to him on social media, with friends and family gathering in Clayton on Tuesday evening (July 5) to release balloons in his memory.

Detective Inspector Mark Davis, from GMP’s Major Incident Team, said: “This was a horrific attack on a man in his home and our thoughts are very much with the family who are understandably distressed and wanting answers.

"A team of detectives have been working around the clock to find those responsible in what we believe at this time to have been a targeted attack.”

READ MORE:

  • Brazen couple 'had sex in men's bathroom' of restaurant and left behind wedding ring
  • Punters to bring 'suitcase of wine' as 128K set to descend on No 10 for Boris leaving do
  • Eamonn Holmes reignites ITV feud as he labels network 'ministry of lies'
  • BBC The One Show taken off air until next week in major channel schedule shake-up
  • Meghan Markle spotted at 4th of July celebration with Archie waving US flag

Source: Read Full Article