China’s secret plan for North Korea OVERTHROW exposed after ‘faith in Kim Jong-un lost’
We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.
Earlier this year, North Korea’s tyrant leader disappeared off the face of the Earth for three weeks, sparking rumours of his death, until he remarkably re-emerged smiling and smoking at the opening of a fertiliser factory on May 1. Suspicions over his whereabouts erupted when Kim failed to attend the annual birthday celebrations for the founder of North Korea, his grandfather Kim Il-sung on Wednesday, April 15. It was thought the leader was recovering from an operation on his heart, although sources from inside the secretive state said the surgery went wrong and he did not recover, with some suggesting he was in a “vegetative state”.
As concerns grew, reports increasingly tipped Kim’s sister, Kim Yo-jong, to be his successor, but documents leaked to Japanese media reportedly show that China had previously created detailed contingency plans for the collapse of the North Korean government in 2014.
Drawn up by planners from China’s People’s Liberation Army, the report supposedly includes proposals for detaining key North Korean leaders and the creation of refugee camps on the Chinese side of the frontier in the event of an outbreak of civil unrest in the secretive state.
It also calls for monitoring of China’s 879-mile border with North Korea to be increased, The Telegraph reported.
It apparently revealed that any senior North Korean military or political leaders who could be the target of either rival factions or another “military power,” thought to be a reference to the United States, should be given protection, the documents state.
According to the Telegraph, the document also says key North Korean leaders should be detained in special camps where they can be monitored, but also prevented from directing further military operations or taking part in actions that could be damaging to Chinese President Xi Jinping’s national interest.
The report allegedly suggests “foreign forces” could be involved in an incident that leads to the collapse of internal controls in North Korea, resulting in millions of refugees attempting to flee.
The only route to safety for the vast majority would have been over the border into China.
But, Chinese authorities apparently intended to question new arrivals, determine their identities and turn away any who are considered dangerous or undesirable.
Jun Okumura, a political analyst at the Meiji Institute for Global Affairs, told The Telegraph in 2014: “This only underlines that all the countries with a stake in the stability of north-east Asia need to be talking to each other.
“What we have learned from the collapse of other dictatorships – the Soviet Union, Muammar Gaddafi’s Libya – is that the more totalitarian the regime, the harder and faster they fall.
“This is why we need contingency plans and I am sure that the US and South Korea have extensive plans in place, but the release of Chinese measures is new.”
Despite China’s support of North Korea, Kim Jong-un’s regime has fallen afoul of Beijing several times, especially in the year when the report was published after China warned that it would ”by no means allow war or chaos to occur on our doorstep” in anticipation of a nuclear test by North Korea amid rising tensions with the US.
China has shown more recently it is not afraid to put pressure on neighbouring states and has ongoing conflict in the South China Sea and along the border with India.
Beijing has also shown aggression to the democratic government on its own doorstep, passing a new security law for Hong Kong last month which makes it easier to punish protesters and reduces the city’s autonomy.
UK to launch own satellite with Space Command ‘to combat Russia threat [REVEALED]
Cost of Corbyn exposed as broadband plan to soar ’10 times’ estimation [ANALYSIS]
Boris Johnson’s plan to slash your energy bill by £750 [REVEALED]
The law came into effect on June 30, an hour before the 23rd anniversary of the city’s handover to China from British rule.
It gives Beijing powers to shape life in Hong Kong it has never had before. Critics say it effectively curtails protest and freedom of speech – China has said it will return stability.
Both the UK and the US have criticised Beijing over the law, leading the Government to offer the 350,000 current British National Overseas residents the opportunity to come to the UK, which could rise to three million.
Yesterday, Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab announced that the UK will also suspend its extradition treaty with Hong Kong “immediately and indefinitely”.
Addressing lawmakers, Mr Raab expressed his concerns over the lack of legal and judicial safeguards for citizens living under the new national security legislation, warning Beijing that “the United Kingdom is watching. And the whole world is watching.
“The imposition of this new national security legislation has significantly changed key assumptions underpinning our extradition treaty arrangements with Hong Kong.
“We will not consider reactivating those arrangements unless and until there are clear and robust safeguards which are able to prevent extradition from the UK being misused under the new national security legislation.”
Mr Raab said the UK sought a “positive, constructive” and reciprocal relationship with China, but that the new security law was “a clear and serious violation of the UK-China Joint Declaration and with it a violation of China’s freely assumed international obligations”.
He added that he was “particularly concerned” about articles 55 to 59 of the law, which he said gave Chinese authorities the ability to assume jurisdiction over certain cases and to try those cases in mainland Chinese courts without legal or judicial safeguards.
As part of the Government’s new arrangements, the UK’s arms embargo on China will also be extended to the semi-autonomous city, including on lethal weapons and equipment which could be used for internal repression.
Source: Read Full Article