Brave tot cut free by firefighters after getting head stuck in toilet seat

Firefighters have branded a toddler a "superstar" after she managed to remain calm as they tackled to remove a stuck toilet seat from her neck.

Harper Stewart, 2, had to be cut free after she put her head through the small hole of her training seat.

Her mum Kay, 37, desperately tried to wriggle it off and resorted to using washing-up liquid to loosen the plastic seat.

READ MORE Perv begs trick-or-treaters to leave their mum's number on note signed 'future dad'

But even with the help of her eldest daughter Shannon, 16, it wouldn't budge from an upset Harper's neck.

Shannon eventually dialled 999 and firefighters dashed to the family’s home in Wallsend, North Tyneside.

Crews from Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service (TWFRS) cut the seat off Harper’s head before posting pictures of the “potty” rescue on Facebook.

Kay said: “I was potty training Harper and had turned away for a second when I heard cries of ‘Mammy I’m stuck!’ coming from the bathroom.

“I rushed in and found Harper standing in the bathroom with the potty seat around her neck. I called Shannon for help and we both tried to get it off but nothing was working. Harper was really upset so Shannon called the emergency services.

“They turned up with their blue lights going and the kids loved it, the firefighters were so calming and kept the other kids busy whilst helping Harper.

“It was brilliant to see how quickly they helped us get it off and Harper gave the firefighter a big hug to say thank you. They even put their lights on and gave them a big wave before heading off. I was so grateful for their help that evening.”

  • Pensioner caught riding mobility scooter on 70mph dual carriageway during rush hour

Wallsend Community Fire Station’s Green Watch was called to rescue “superstar” Harper last week.

Station manager Trevor Sturrock said: “Green Watch were with Kay and her family in just a matter of minutes, and used small tools to remove the toilet seat from Harper’s head.

“Something that she had to be very still for and can be really frightening for such a little person.

“Harper was a superstar and was very brave which helped the firefighters complete the rescue.

“I want to thank the crew for their professionalism at this incident, sometimes when you turn up people are really panicked and it’s about remaining calm and calming others.

“I’m so glad the crew were able to support and assist Kay and her family and we hope Harper doesn’t find herself stuck again and wish her well with the potty training."

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up for one of our newsletters here


  • Boy's body found in suitcase after mother believed he was 'possessed'

  • Cops to dig up land after daughter claims dad killed 70 women and made her bury bodies

  • Brit woman plunges 13,000ft to her death while 'scaling mountain without a tour guide'

  • Boy, 7, killed by one of 'most toxic' scorpions after suffering 7 heart attacks

Source: Read Full Article